Automatic garage door makes your life easy. Whether it is raining or you are just too tired to step out, operating the heavy garage door manually can be too much trouble. What a convenience it is to open your garage with merely a push of button versus lifting and pushing manually. And automatic garage door are much safer than their traditional counterparts as they come equipped with sensors that make them stop from closing if something or someone comes in their path unexpectedly.
However, do you know how would you operate it during a power outage? Or during an emergency situation that may demand manual intervention?
Use the Emergency Release Cord
In situations when power goes out, motor behaves erratically or the battery in the remote opener just dies, it is important to know that you can still operate your garage door manually. On your garage door systems, there is a bright red rope or emergency release cord that will help during such situations. In most cases, you can locate it along the garage door opener rail, or possibly near the door arm that links to the automatic opener. Remember, the emergency release cord is typically red in color to make it more visible and easy to locate. Pulling on this cord will disengage the trolley and put the garage in the manual mode.
Important tips to use emergency release cord
- Always activate the handle when the garage door is closed. While this may not be an option when the power goes out and the door is open but remember that when you will release the handle, the door might come crashing down unexpectedly. The door may have weak or damaged springs and safety cables and along with the garage door track, they make one integrated unit that supports the heavy weight of the garage door. When you disengage the track, unexpected things may happen.
- When disengaging the door in open position, it is recommended to use 2X4’s to prop the door to make sure it is safe.
- Alert the people around the area and make sure there are no kids and pets around if you are releasing the handle with garage door up.
- It takes some tugging to disengage the door but don’t hang on the cord if it doesn’t open the first time.
Is there any damage to the cable or the door doesn’t sit evenly on the floor? Garage door opener not working efficiently? Call Garage Door Repair Services in Corpus Christi. We have been providing expert garage door repair, maintenance and garage door openers services to the greater Corpus Christi area for many years.
- Licensed, insured and certified garage door technicians
- We have the right tools, experience and technical expertise to perform services safely and efficiently.
- We are available 24 x 7 for any unexpected garage door issue.
- With our years of experience, we quickly identify the root cause of the problem and do the necessary repair and replacement fast.
Automatic Garage Door & Garage Door Opener Services in Corpus Christi
- Residential garage door & opener installation
- Commercial garage door & opener installation
- Garage door openers installation, repair and adjustment
- Garage door maintenance and inspection
- Broken garage door springs repair services
- Broken/damaged garage door cable repair services
- Garage door drum installation and repair services
- Bent garage door track repair
- Bent door panel repair
- Weather seal installation
- 24/7 emergency garage door repair
- Garage door parts services
- Garage door maintenance services
- Garage door inspection
- Spare parts