Garage doors are an impart part of our house. Just how important is something we only realize when it stops operating smoothly and you find yourself stuck with a jammed garage door. Considering, it consists of so many moving parts, it is very important to perform periodic inspection and maintenances so that you don’t run into expensive garage door repair bills later. A smoothly operating garage door is not only great for your everyday convenience but also is a matter of your personal safety. Here are a few garage door maintenance tips to assess if your garage door is working in top shape.
Please note that these tips are only to evaluate if your garage door is working fine and you must not try to repair or replace any part yourself.
Garage Door Maintenance Tips
- Inspect: Look for any signs of wear and tear in your garage door parts including springs, cable drums, safety cables, bolt, hinges and pulleys. In case you feel there is an unexpected noise coming from any moving part or if they look frayed, call your local garage door repair company before it can take a serious turn.
- Lubricate: You can lubricate all the necessary parts yourself. But remember some golden rules while you are at it. Never use WD 40 lubricant and instead of that apply a lithium or a silicon spray to lubricate chain rail, rollers and hinges. In fact, certain parts such as opener or motor, garage door track and the bottom part of the chain rail should not be lubricated at all. It is best to consult your garage door manual to understand which parts require lubrications and which parts are to left without it.
- Door balance test: Is your garage door closes and opens with sudden, jerky movements? Conduct a door balance test to ensure if the springs are in good working order. First of all, if your garage door has an automatic opener, you should disengage it. Lift the garage door with your hands. It should lift smoothly showing no signs of resistance. Also check if it stays in half-closed position when you leave it. If it closes down or goes back up, it implies there is some problem with the springs. Never try to adjust or repair the springs yourself. It is a risky job that must be left to professionals.
- Check for your door’s safety reverse mechanism: To check whether your garage door reverses in case it encounters any object in its path, place a log or a solid object in its way. Upon closing the door, it must stop coming down and rebound immediately when it reaches the object. If it comes crashing down, call an expert garage door repair company to adjust your garage door.
- Check the optical sensors: Wave a long stemmed object in front of the door’s photo electric eyes, also known as optical sensors as the door is closing. If the door doesn’t reverse, it means the optical sensors need alignment as they may not be facing each other.
Garage Door Maintenance & Repair Services Corpus Christi
Garage door is a dangerous piece of machinery because of its heavy weight and its high-tension springs. Always call a professional garage door repair services company if you think any part needs replacement or repair. Our professional and thorough garage door maintenance services takes into account every small detail – whether it is lubricating the door parts, testing the safety sensors for auto reverse functionality, door balancing, door alignment and cheking for any sign of wear and tear.
- 24 x7 emergency garage door services
- Garage door maintenance
- Garage door inspection
- Garage door installation
- Garage door springs repair and replacement
- Safety cables repair and replacement
- Automatic openers installation and repair
- Bent rollers or drums repair
- Bent garage door panel repair
- Bent garage door track repair
- Garage door weather stripping services
- Garage door installation services